Thursday 6 June 2019

Let's Talk: Weight Loss and Eating Disorders


Hello Lovelies! You'll be happy to notice that above is a picture without my face on it for once, instead, we have an amazing photo of Erin and her little sister eating some sexy looking brownies. This post has been very kindly written for Auburn Em by the lovely Erin Tomkinson. A while ago I wanted to write a post on weight loss and the pressure we feel from society to lose weight. However, I realised there are better people out there that can tell their story instead of just hearing from me all the time. We all experience things differently and others, unfortunately, experience things deeper which is why I wanted someone who can speak about this topic with more knowledge than I have. This post also marks the start of a new series 'Let's Talk', in which I (and hopefully more guests!) will be tackling and discussing important issues. So now I'm going to shut up and let Erin take it away...

When you think of the person you love and admire the most. Your biggest inspirations in life. What are the qualities of that person you admire?
Think about it.

I bet the first thing that came to your mind wasn't this persons weight or shape. So why do we value this so highly in our own lives? Why is instagram flooded with celebrities sharing heavily photoshopped photos and selling "skinny teas" and other glorified laxatives that promote the idea of looking a certain way? Having a teeeeny waist and nonexistent stick legs is somehow a quality more admirable than honesty, kindness, and respect?

Eating disorders are on the rise. Unsurprisingly. And as someone who's teens have been infected by calorie counting and self-hatred, I'm sick of seeing the internet show weight loss as this amazing thing that's going to completely change the world. I'm sick of seeing morality linked to food. For God's sake, you ate a brownie you didn't murder a child. Foods just food.

I do think it's important though for people to realise I didn't develop an eating disorder because of magazines and models. I didn't think "Oh I better starve myself into a walking skeleton who's organs are failing and whose life is falling apart because Kim Kardashian posted about appetite suppressing lollies. I did it because I hated myself. I wanted to punish myself. I did it to numb the emotion and memories of experiences. I did it to try to stop the world because it scared me and this way I felt safe and protected, I could avoid responsibilities and be looked after.

But these things don't help. They reinforce the message my brain is already telling me and keep me stuck in the cycle of recovery, relapse, misery, hope and more misery. A quote I love by JK Rowling which helps me is "Why is fat the worst thing a human can be? Is fat worse than vindictive, jealous, shallow, vain or cruel? Not to me." I wish we would stop holding weight and shape so highly. I wish it would just be as normal to have different bodies as it is to have different coloured hair.

If you are worried you or a friend may have an eating disorder GO TO THE GP! They are so so dangerous and have the biggest mortality rate of any mental illness. The sooner you get help the better your chance at recovery (even if you don't want it right now). You don't have to wait until you're "thin enough" or have lost your period, lost more hair or more of your life. Don't wait until your organs begin to eat themselves and you have wasted years being unable to live. You can do this.


Helplines

Help for Adults
The Beat Adult Helpline is open to anyone over 18. Parents, teachers or any concerned adults should call the adult helpline.
Helpline: 0808 801 0677
Email: Help@beateatingdisorders.org.uk

Help for Young People
The Beat youthline is open for anyone under 18.
Youthline: 0808 801 0711
Email: fyp@beateatingdisorders.org.uk


Just wanted to finish this post by saying a massive thank you to Erin for writing this! She's an amazing human being.

Thanks, 
Em x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Emily Smith | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig